The senior years can be challenging in many ways. Financially, seniors normally have less to spend but have an increase in medical expenses. The aches and pains of being a senior citizen may not be considered a blessing, but companies that provide a discount are a blessing. There are age requirements, with some starting as early as 50. Also, some locations may not honor them, so check before you purchase. Here is a listing of the 12 best ones available for seniors.
- Amtrak - Travelers 65 and over can receive a 10% discount off most fares on Amtrak. Have your proof of age identification ready, and check before you book.
- Avis - Offers card-carrying AARP members 30% off base rates for those who are renting in the US and Canada.
- Bloomin Brands - This includes the restaurants of Bonefish Grill, Outback Steakhouse, and Carrabba's Italian Grill. AARP members can receive 10% off their meal every day.
- British Airways - It must be booked by January 31, 2019, but if you carry an AARP membership you can get $65 off economy travel and $200 off business club travel.
- Grocery Stores - Publix, Kroger, Fred Harris, Piggly Wiggly, Harris Teeter, Bi-lo, Fred Myer, ShopRite, and many others are included. Almost all grocery stores have some kind of discount, 5 to 10% and a special day they offer it. These offers change from time to time. Check with your favorite store to see what the policy is that they have in place.
- Joann Fabric and Craft - They announce special senior discount days. They offer customers 55 and older, with a state-issued ID, 20% off. There are limitations on what is or is not included so check ahead of time so you won't be disappointed.
- Kohl's - Every Wednesday, for shoppers 60 plus, a 15% discount is given. If you are over 60 plan your shopping at Kohl's on Wednesday.
- Marriott If you are 62 or older you can receive 15% or even more off your room rate. It is subject to availability, but there are not any limits to the number of nights. Please check if it is available at the Marriott you are booking. This offer is also available worldwide.
- Pep Boys - 10% off every day for those 55 and up.
- United Airlines, American Airlines, and Delta - They all offer senior rates, but for domestic flights and subject to availability. When you book online look for the "seniors" designation. If you don't see it, even though it can be a hassle to call an airline, do call them. You could save 10% off an expensive ticket. Do not expect to just show up and get the discount. Check ahead.
- Uno Pizzeria and Grill - If you are 55 or older you are eligible to join their Double Nickel Club on their website. This gives you 30% off their deep dish pizza and other menu items.
- Walgreens - You only need to be 55 or older to receive 20% off on the first Tuesday of the month. This is for eligible purchases. Check at the store what that includes. Also, if you are an AARP member there are special discount days that will be advertised.
Any discount you can get in your senior years can add to your quality of life. If you have extra debt, take the savings you receive and apply it to other areas to help your financial picture. Timberline Financial can help you to figure out a solution to balances that just don't seem to become reduced.
The previous has been researched to give the most accurate representation. However, sometimes the terms or the discount changes, or is completely removed. What is true at some locations may not be true at another. Also, there are many other discounts and deals available to seniors. A prudent way to shop is to just ask before purchasing to make sure you don't miss any offers available.
If you are burdened with high amounts of credit card debt and are struggling to make your payments, or you’re just not seeing your balances go down, call Timberline Financial today for a free financial analysis.
Our team of highly skilled professionals will evaluate your current situation to see if you may qualify for one of our debt relief programs. You don’t have to struggle with high-interest credit card debt any longer.